Friday 22 November 2013

Evaluation on opening title sequence recreation #28

Evaluation on opening title sequence recreation
Blog Post #28

Here is the evaluation of an opening title sequence my group and I recreated. Our task was to recreate an existing opening title sequence, so we decided to recreate 'Memento' which is an existing thriller film. I believe that recreating this opening title sequence gave me a real 'taste' of what to expect when creating our final opening title sequence, meaning that it would consist of a lot of hard work and dedication. At the bottom of the blog is the original opening title sequence of 'Memento', in comparison to our own recreation which is just positioned below this paragraph:
                     
                        


Pre Production:

After looking at various opening title sequences, my group and I came to a final decision of recreating the opening title sequence for 'Memento'; the reason why as a group we chose 'Memento' was because we wanted to pick an opening title sequence that was rather challenging to recreate and something that was not too simple either.

The timeline I created in order to help my
group and I with this task.
After watching the opening title sequence for 'Memento' various times, I decided to create a timeline so my group and I would know exactly when to film each segment whilst recreating the opening title sequence itself; for example the first 5 seconds of the title sequence was the company name so therefore no filming was required for this stage, so we didn't need to worry about this until post production and editing.

If you look at the next segment on the timeline you can see that it states 'blood dripping' again for five seconds, so I knew I had to film blood dripping for five seconds, however I decided to be extra pre-cautious when filming and recorded an extra 5 seconds just incase something went wrong whilst editing, this was taken into account for the majority of the scenes.

Although the timeline is in chronological order, I told my group, ''Maybe it would be easier if we shot the much 'simpler' scenes first or scenes that are around the same location together, instead of having to go back and forth''. I believe that this is a key strategy and can save time whilst having to work effectively in a set time.

Setting locations & filming:

After putting the timeline together and having an in-depth discussion about this task, my group and I set off to film. We wanted to duplicate the scenes that were shown in the scene and make it as similar as possible for example in the original during 0:41 seconds into the title sequence there appears to be a man holding several bullets so we tried our best to replicate this, as you can see in our recreation you can see myself holding an empty shell bullet in a car whilst filming a point-of-view (POV) shot.

Other scenes also resemble the original title sequence for example when the vehicle (Mercedes) approaches it also rewinds (which was a key technique within the original title sequence), however this was more to do with post production and editing as this was on Adobe After Effects, the same accounts for the bus approaching the school gate. Although my group and I are happy with the final outcome, there are many room for improvements, however many of the filming and location were restricted as the task had to filmed around school.

Props/replicating items:

As mentioned earlier we wanted the recreation to be as similar as possible; this is why we tried our best to replicate the items. For example we had a polaroid camera however it didn't have any photo paper refills in it, so as an alternative solution i used my initiative and used a piece of paper; cut it into a square (similar to the size of a polaroid refill) and coloured a smaller square to resemble the original scene. Similarly, at the start of the opening sequence we needed an alternative solution to blood (once again seen at the start of the original title sequence), so instead my group and I headed over to art and got some red paint and covered it.


Complications and set backs:

Whilst creating this title sequence we had some setbacks and complications, for example in the original opening sequence (below) at 0:20 seconds there appaears to be a book burning. This was a major setback because due to health and safety and being in school (during school hours) there was no possible way of filming a book burning in the premises, furthermore there was no other solution around it. Unfortunately, there was no alternative outcome either so as a group we just decided to leave this specific scene out which is why it is not seen in our final recreation.

Another complication was that the polaroid we had was not in working condition so we couldn't get the 'flash' effect we initially wanted where the unidentifiable man took a picture in the original title sequence; again similarly this is why we didn't have the flash in our final recreation.

Original memento opening title sequence:

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment